…Charge Lekki Port Promoters On Commencement Of Commercial Activity By 2022
The Honourable Minister of Transportation, Rt. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi has condemned the attack by hoodlums on NPA’s Headquarters during the ENDSARS protest in Lagos.
Amaechi expressed disappointment on the level of damages done to the agency and insists that the perpetuators should be brought to book.
He said this while addressing the media on Sunday during a visit to the NPA house in Marina Lagos.
According to him, such act are uncalled for and indeed regrettable considering the fact that the structure belong to us all.
The Minister, who proceeded to Lekki Deep Seaport Port on a monitoring visit to ascertain the level of development of the project tasked the promoters of the Lekki Deep Sea Port project on timely completion to ensure commencement of commercial activity come 2022.
The minister who led a highly powered delegation that comprised of the Board Chairman, Managing Director and all Executive Directors of the Nigerian Ports Authority, the Director General, Budgets of the Federal Ministry of Finance, the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Shippers’ Council as well as Directors of the Ministry expressed profound appreciation to the promoters for playing their part in ensuring that the project moved at a frenetic pace which has seen it reach the level of development at which it is currently.
“I am highly delighted with the level of work done so far as the Lekki Deep Sea project construction is concerned,” Amaechi said.
“From what I can see, the construction is moving at the desired pace and a lot of progress has been made. This is really wonderful.
“My profound appreciation goes to all the promoters for their efforts and unflinching commitment geared towards the realisation of the project.”
While urging the promoters to ensure timely delivery of the project, the Minister assured Nigerians that the Buhari-led administration is fully committed to lending all necessary support as the project holds the key to Nigeria’s economic growth.
“The Federal Government cannot wait to see the project completed given the economic potentials that lie in wait,” he said.
“As a government, we are fully aware of what the project means to grow the economy. No doubt, the completion and eventual take-off of the Port for business operations would create thousands of jobs which would consequently boost GDP growth.”
In his remarks, the Chief Executive Officer of Lekki Port LFTZ Enterprise Limited, Du Ruogang welcomed the Honourable Minister and his delegation to the Lekki Deep Sea Port and assures him and all stakeholders that notwithstanding the delays occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic, he is very confident and assures all the stakeholders that Lekki Port will leave no stone unturned to ensure that the project is completed and delivered on schedule and to the set standard.
“We are grateful to our Honourable Minister for finding time to visit the site to assess the level of progress made on the project,” Ruogang said.
The Lekki Deep Sea Port Project, slated to be Sub-Saharan Africa’s deepest port and Nigeria’s first deep seaport is located at the Lagos Free Zone, Ibeju Lekki, Lagos.
It was awarded 45 years concession by the Nigerian Ports Authority on Build ,Own, Operate and Transfer (BOOT) basis. During this term, LPLEL will develop, finance, build, operate and at the end of the concession term, transfer the port to the Nigerian Ports Authority.
Upon completion, Lekki port will have a total of 3 container berths, 1 dry bulk berth and 3 liquid berths.